Jan 24, 2023
Putin’s Favorite Neighbor Whips Out the Big Guns in New Warning
This news has been received from: thedailybeast.com
All trademarks, copyrights, videos, photos and logos are owned by respective news sources. News stories, videos and live streams are from trusted sources.
Belarus’ army has begun removing armored vehicles from long-term storage to contribute to the joint regional grouping of Russian and Belarusian fighting forces, according to the Belarusian Ministry of Defense.
The decision was made in order to facilitate “interoperability measures” for the battlegroups, which have been conducting joint drills since October in Belarus, according to TASS.
It’s just the latest sign that Belarus could be gearing up for military action—or that it might be preparing to serve as a launchpad for Russian assaults on Ukraine.
Last fall, Russia sent tens of thousands of troops and armored vehicles into Belarus to conduct live fire exercises. Since then, Belarus has initiated snap military drills and moved military gear and equipment toward its border with Ukraine. Earlier this month, the Commander-in-Chief of Russia’s Ground Forces, Army General Oleg Salyukov, also visited Belarus to inspect the joint Russian-Belarusian military force.
Belarusian leader Alexander Lukashenko allowed Moscow to use Belarus as a launchpad for its failed offensive against Kyiv last year, and has likely continued his attempt to beef up Belarusian combat readiness due to pressure from Russia, analysts say.
The news that Belarus is transitioning military gear out of long-term storage comes just days after Russia’s foreign ministry outlined conditions under which Belarus would join the war in Ukraine. If Belarus or Russia believe that Ukraine has “used force” against either country, Belarus will join the war, according to the ministry.
It’s not clear what “use of force” comprises in the eyes of Minsk or Moscow, but Lukashenko has been opining publicly about perceived Ukrainian threats to Belarus in recent days.
Lukashenko suggested Tuesday that Ukraine continues to make threatening moves by training armed forces to defend against a Belarusian assault on Ukraine from the north.
“On the one hand, they ask us not to send troops to Ukraine… On the other hand, they are preparing this explosive mixture and arming them,” Lukashenko said Tuesday, according to Belta, adding that Kyiv proposed Belarus enter into a “non-aggression pact” with Ukraine. “Therefore, we are forced to react harshly… They should consider themselves warned.”
It was not immediately clear if Ukraine had indeed suggested a “non-aggression pact” with Belarus. Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry did not immediately return request for comment.“Russia is trying in every possible way to draw Belarus directly into a war.”
Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry has sought to simmer tensions with Belarus, reassuring Minsk in a statement Tuesday that Ukraine does not intend to attack the country.
“We confirm the absence of any aggressive intentions towards Belarus on our part,” the Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Oleh Nikolenko, told Ukrainska Pravda.
The Kremlin is likely working to pressure Belarus to prepare to engage in the conflict more, Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry assesses.
“Russia is trying in every possible way to draw Belarus directly into a war. Ukraine warns Minsk against any possible further aggressive plans,” Nikolenko said.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky also issued a statement in an attempt to signal to Lukashenko that he ought to resist pressure to join the war.
“We were not going to and are not going to attack Belarus. This is the main signal from the entire Ukrainian people to the Belarusian people,” Zelensky told reporters Tuesday. “It is very important for us that Belarus does not lose its independence and does not join this disgraceful war despite anyone’s influence.”
News Source: thedailybeast.com
Tags: fever dreams pets ukraine’s foreign ministry ukraine’s foreign to the belarusian according armored vehicles not immediately military gear with ukraine not going with belarus that belarus join the war to pressure
Jennifer Lopez snubs ex Marc Anthony’s fourth wedding as she heads on loved-up family trip with Ben Affleck
JENNIFER Lopez has snubbed ex Marc Anthony's fourth wedding as she headed on a loved-up family trip with Ben Affleck.
The 53-year-old star was married to fellow singer Marc, 54, from 2004 until their divorce in 2014.4Jennifer Lopez has snubbed ex Marc Anthony's fourth wedding as she headed on a loved-up family trip with Ben AffleckCredit: BackGrid 4Marc, 54, married Nadia Ferreira, 23, on SaturdayCredit: Instagram/@nadiatferreira
The former couple have twins Max and Emme together and while they are on amicable terms, Jennifer has made no mention of her ex's nuptials to new wife Nadia Ferreira on social media and didn't attend the ceremony.
Nadia, 23, is a former Miss Universe contestant and she became engaged to Marc eight months ago.
The marriage - Marc's fourth - took place at the Perez Art Museum in Miami on Saturday, with David Beckham acting as best man.
Meanwhile guests included Salma Hayek, and Romeo Santos.Read More on Jennifer LopezJ-GLOW Jennifer Lopez stuns fans as she wears see-through dress on red carpet in LAJ-LO IN A J-LEOTARD Jennifer Lopez, 53, wows in plunging black leotard
Nadia wore a gown a by Galia Lahav, which Hola described as a "design with a romantic flair, beautiful lace details and a long and voluminous tail."
While Jennifer didn't attend the ceremony, neither did her two children she shares with Marc.
Instead, the singer and actress was seen enjoying an afternoon out for lunch her husband Ben and their kids in Los Angeles.
Jennifer and Ben, 50, married in July last year, a little over a year after they rekindled their romance.Most read in CelebritySICK LAUGHTER Cops heard saying 'that was fun' in horror footage after Tyre Nichols beatingSCANDALOUS Kourtney Kardashian flashes her bare butt in raunchy PDA pics with Travis BarkerNO STRINGS ATTACHED I tried the Skims micro-bikini in front of my ex - the top was tinyAISLE TAKE THAT 17 Aldi items to buy this week starting at $1 - and one to avoid
The couple had previously dated from 2002 to 2004 but called off their engagement.
Jennifer looked stylish in a pair of flared jeans, a white T-shirt and furry coat.
She wore platform heels and sunglasses and had her brown hair up in a simple top knot.
Jennifer held hands with Ben, who wore cream chinos, a cream jumper and brown jacket.4Jennifer and Marc were married from 2004 until their divorce in 2014Credit: Getty 4Jennifer headed out for lunch with husband Ben Affleck in Los Angeles on SaturdayCredit: BackGrid Topics
- Celebrity Relationships
- Ben Affleck
- Jennifer Lopez
Madonna's 'canceled biopic cost Universal millions before gut-check moment'SCANDALOUS
Kourtney Kardashian flashes her bare butt in raunchy PDA pics with Travis BarkerLatestANCHORS AWAY
GMA's TJ Holmes and Amy Robach officially out at ABC after affair scandalREBEL DAUGHTER
Jana breaks parents' strict dress code by wearing banned clothing itemFollow The SunServices
- Sign Up To The Sun
- About Us
- Editorial Complaints
- Clarifications and Corrections
- News Licensing
- Contact Us
- Help Hub
- Topic A-Z
- Cookie Settings
- Contact Preferences